Thomas A. Finholt is the Senior Associate Dean for Faculty and Professor at the University of Michigan School of Information. He received his Ph.D. in Social and Decision Sciences from Carnegie Mellon University and his B.A. from Swarthmore College. Dr. Finholt's research focuses on the design, deployment, and use of cyberinfrastructure in science and engineering. He was a co-developer of the world's first operational collaboratory, a co-founder of the Collaboratory for Research on Electronic Work (CREW), and the inaugural director of the NSF’s summer research institute for the science of socio-technical systems. Currently, Dr. Finholt is the PI on several NSF-supported projects, including: a Virtual Organizations as Socio-technical Systems (VOSS) award to study large, cyberinfrastructure-enabled scientific collaborations, such as Open Science Grid; a CI-TEAM award to study the use of advanced collaboration technology within an international community of civil engineers and material scientists; an EPSCOR award to study scientific computing within systems biology and nano materials researchers in South Carolina and Tennessee; the TeraGrid XD audit award to study the use and impact of TeraGrid by scientific communities; an EAGER award to study the human infrastructure of cyberinfrastructure; and a CI-TEAM award to develop and deploy the Virtual School of Computational Science and Engineering.
- Technology audit and insertion services for TeraGrid
- EAGER: The human infrastructure of cyberinfrastructure
- VOSS: Delegating Organizational Work to Virtual Organization Technologies: Beyond the Communicational Paradigm
- Collaborative Research: AOC: Monitoring, Modeling and Memory: Dynamics of Data and Knowledge in Scientific Cyberinfrastructures
- CI-TEAM Implementation Project: Using cyberinfrastructure to develop next generation civil infrastructure
- CI-Team Implementation Project: The Virtual School of Computational Science and Engineering Network, a collaboration cyberinfrastructure for petascale computing education
- Social Networking Tools to Enable Collaboration in the Tobacco Surveillance, Epidemiology, and Evaluation Network (TSEEN)